Find out how to apply below.Qualification is based on need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner.
Am I Eligible?
- Must have lived in Thomasville or Thomas County for one year or more.
- Must have had the same job or source of verifiable income for 6 months or more.
- Must have household income within the income guidelines.
- Must be willing to make a small cash down payment.
- Must be willing to live on a lot provided by Habitat for Humanity
- Must be able and willing to work and contribute 200 “Sweat Equity Hours.”
Requirements if Approved
- All Habitat families must attend classes on owning and caring for a home.
- They will also learn budgeting and housekeeping skills.
- Families are responsible for the upkeep of their homes, including lawn care.
- The Habitat affiliate board and staff determine the house size and location
- Your employment and credit history will be considered when you apply. Your responsibility doesn’t stop after you move in. Homeowners are expected to become active members of the Habitat for Humanity Community.
- Each homeowner must complete 200 “Sweat Equity Hours.”
Sweat Equity Hours
- These hours help build each family’s new home and provides a “Sweat Equity” down payment.
- Hours worked by the partner family assisting with construction of other Habitat homes, as well as construction of their own home.
- Hours worked by the partner family assisting with Thomasville-Thomas County Administrative duties as deemed appropriate.
Does Habitat give away homes?
- Habitat houses are not donated or “given” away. Habitat for Humanity builds houses for those in need and then sells the houses to Homeowner Partners. Because of Habitat’s no-profit, no-interest loans, and because the houses are built pricipally by volunteers, mortgage payments are affordable for those unable to obtain a home through conventional financing.
Does Habitat only accept applicants with perfect credit?
- Credit history is important, but each case is reviewed on an individual basis. Potential homeowners are given the opportunity to work with a local agency to improve any deficiencies.
Are Habitat homes for families only?
- Habitat for Humanity accepts applicatoins for single adults and families of any size.
How does Habitat fund its building and program activity?
- Habitat invites individuals, corporations, foundations, religious congregations or other organizations to sponsor a Habitat home in full, or partially. Through these partnerships, sponsors supply funds to cover material and construction costs, permit fees and taxes. They also provide volunteers to work with the homeowners and skilled construction staff.
Thomasville-Thomas County Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity housing provider. Our homes are subject to the Federal Fair Housing Act.
How do I apply?
You may submit a pre-screening qualification online! We will then review your information and get in touch with you in order to discuss your situation.